Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Luxury of Lilacs

My parents live in Michigan. Lilac bushes eight to ten feet tall grow around the perimeter of their property. It is a wonderful thing when all the shades of lavender, purple, and white bushes bloom. The smell is unbelievably beautiful.

I have seen lilacs  here in Oklahoma. In fact, I took this photograph in town. But I have had no luck out here on the farm.

I planted shoots from Dad's bushes and tried to help them get established. One year there were white and a deep purple spray on the same bush. Not the right soil, I guess. It leafed out nicely every year and it strained to produce some blossoms, but we were disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. sister Frances would be in allergic reaction. What is that called? Highly allergic to lilac, but aren't they soooooo pretty?

    ReplyDelete