Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Cooking for Winter Weather


Cooking as an activity is perfect for snowy winter days when we are shut inside. It warms the house and passes time while blessing everyone with special and comforting foods. Brenna set out to try a German recipe from my Southern Heritage Breads cookbook. Pirogi is a  noodle dough stuffed with cheeses, or cabbage and onion, sometimes with mashed potatoes.
The dough is rolled out thin like pie crust and then each square filled with a spoonful of the chosen filling.

Folded into triangle and sealed with a fork.

Drop into boiling salted water and cook for 12 minutes.  Drain and then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese,
and add a drizzle of butter.


This is biscotti, or toasted pecan Mandelbrot, the Jewish version that I baked this afternoon. Ron loves biscotti with hot coffee.
I used a recipe from my The Great Cookie cookbook by Carole Walter.
Toasting pecans in the oven on a cookie sheet is tricky.
 Don't burn them!
I mix and knead bread in my Bosch machine and let it rise in this crockery bowl.
After the first rising, I form it into rolls or loaves and let it rise again.
Ready and into the hot oven.


Fresh from the oven cinnamon rolls and loaf of oatmeal bread.




Frosted cinnamon rolls make everyone happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment