Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Busy Painting Days





















There is so much going on around home this week it is hard to know where to begin sharing any of it. The main occupations are getting ready for our family vacation in Michigan, and painting the living room and dining room.
I don't mean to imply that I am actually doing any painting. I bought the paint and that's just about all. Our room was white. Now it is four colors. One wall in each room is now a startling and beautiful shade of cranberry. The ceiling flat white, the other three walls in each room Sandy yellow-like light wicker. and the trim is a white with a pale pink tinge. The trim color is surprising because I didn't realize it had the pink at all until it started to go on.

I love the deep color of the "cranberry " wall. I think I was brave to choose it. Thanks to my friend Rose who encouraged me to move out of the boring comfort zone. I love the sand color. It will certainly change the feel of my house. It is warm and natural feeling.

Ron was shocked by the cranberry, but now he likes it. At first, it looked pink and red while it dried and the painter had to add four coats to cover the white completely, even with primer! I sat and watched as the paint dried and it was fascinating (and I know that watching paint dry is the ultimate boring activity.) The colors changed quickly as the paint dried and it was really ama zing. See how red? After it dried it was much darker.

Ron was also upset that we were painting over the stenciling that Audra did years ago of vines. I think we had to though and will need to paint the window frames as well, since they are in such sad state.



The walls are uneven and have bumps and lumps, but that's the way old houses come and can't be helped much. You have to love that "Character." I know that with pictures hung and furniture in place these details will not be noticable. Here's how the wall where the buffett was looks now with no trim paint and the window and door frames still unpainted.

No comments:

Post a Comment